The past two weeks have been a blur! With so much to do we just cracked on as a team and went full force to get this project finally rolling! Following our new improved animatic;
Tasha began blocking out the animation while I started looking at the 3D set design! Before moving along with this bit of the project I looked at what I had done in the past weeks for it, creating a plane and power lines as seen in past blog posts I started to venture out and try and make it look more like a vast area. I experimented with mirrors but with the sun and sky rendering option mixed with a point light to make it look like the sun was actually in the frame, it didn’t mix well and created a shimmer on the mirror. Moving away from the I decided just to duplicate the plane and posts, probably a simpler way around things in the first place. Creating textures for the ground and posts in Photoshop, I tried keeping things simple! I didn’t go into much detail thinking about render time and the actual time we had left before the deadline!
Along with all of this I added in some of the other rock models I created to bring the scene together and also for the narrative as they are meant to be symbolic of grave stones. With the scene finally coming together I started looking into the 2D background, again keeping things simple and using image planes to import drawings from Photoshop into the scene. Based on Nickyworks;
I love how her background colors bleed into each-other and thought it would be a nice twist on our project but we ending up scrapping the idea sadly as I was pretty excited about it. Experimenting again with the grunge look I began tweaking rendered frames hoping to get the grungy, The Blackwater Gospel inspired look!
Looking into the music for the project as well I explored on youtube and found this guy called Matt Elliott! He creates spooky, kind of country music which I thought would mix well with our project;
Although I didn’t know Courtney had been working on music of her own for the project! I added it into the animatic, the animatc is pretty close to our final soundtrack I think I might tweak some things slightly and add in the voice over once I get it recorded off Aidan. The group decided to use my character designs and models so I passed them onto Courtney to be rigged which was exciting!
While that was being done I looked into the title for our animation, coming up with different idea’s such as;
- Light as a Feather (our original idea as a team, but I didn’t think it made much sense anymore)
- Wise Old Rock
- The Side of The Road
- Dusk to Dawn
- The Cycle
- Behold another Day
- Way out West
Sadly nobody in the team had any ideas so with agreement we went with The Cycle.
Looking into title design I came up with a few concepts;
We finally went with this;
Unfortunately my laptop keyboard decided to stop working when it was my turn to animate part of the scene, Courtney took over and I created the presentation instead, adding in comments and suggestions for the team. When the animation was finished we all divided the frames and rendered over night!
With a few problems but we were stuck for time and didn’t have time to fix it. I done all of the editing, which took a while because of the bad renders.
But overall I think it looks okay, I know it can fixed in multiple ways though;
Now with feedback and two weeks to go lets see if we can pull together as a team and improve our grade!!!!!